Thursday, April 18, 2019

A Poem in your Pocket

Today is 'Poem in your pocket Day'. I got inspired by a blogger, Kym who mentioned that April is the month of poetry and saw this day on-line.
It gave me an idea for my birthday get-together at work today. We usually sit around the conference table in awkward conversations or even silence, eating our cake, cupcakes or pie and ask the birthday girl/guy, 'so any special plans for today?' I am usually uncomfortable in a group and particularly during these birthday 'parties'. So I came prepared.
My coworkers bought me a pie, one of the best, from the Julian Pie Company. Boysenberry and Apple Crumble. What a treat.



I cut the slices and handed out the plates with a poem from my pocket.


I loved this poem by Emily Dickinson. It's the simplicity and rhythm. I can smell the grass and clover and hear the bees buzzing. I could fall into a day dream just reading this and can see the prairie.

I asked everyone to write a Haiku poem. This worked perfectly in a small group. We had a few good ones:

Beauty surrounds me
Nature restores my spirit
I am now at peace

Lola loves to play
she loves the park and her balls
and then she quietly sleeps

The rays shine brightly
The water gleams stillfully
The day has begun

You are what you eat
Eat with friends and family
We are family

Mine was less inspiring:

This sweet crumbly pie
shared with coworkers today.
Crumbs on the table

It was fun and not a boring cake party. Now off to have dinner with Mona.

No comments:

Post a Comment