Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Multi-colored projects

Only a knitter can relate to the excitement when the right pattern is found for the yarn that has been waiting to be knit.
Here is one of these stories. A few years ago I fell in love with the Sipalu bag.
Sipalu bag on Ravelry

Isn't it beautiful. This is so me. The bag reminds me of my time in high school, where my book bag looked very similar to this. So I bought the kit from Knitpicks, which included the pattern and 11 colors of yarn from their Palette line.
I cast-on right away and started the multi-colored edge. I got to about 10 rows and fought with 4 skeins, then put it aside as there were so many other easier projects waiting to be knit. This was November 2015. And the beautiful yarn has been waiting to be touched since.

I really wish I could knit this bag, but after I was diagnosed with the retina disease on my right eye, it is very difficult for me to read small detailed color charts. And I have to admit that I do not enjoy fair-isle knitting.
I contemplated on selling the yarn and posted it on Ravelry as such. But I kept thinking about the beautiful colors. As each skein is only 50g and about 230 yards there are not many options for that one-skein wonder pattern. And the colors just go so perfectly together.
So I started searching for a multi-colored pattern that was not fair-isle knitting, but included large squares or stripes which would be easier on my eyes to follow. And I found it after a few days of going through the vast pattern collection on Ravelry. The Stole, by Theresa Gaffey.  This is the perfect pattern. After reading through the other projects and taking note of the knitters' suggestions, I am ready to cast on my beautiful yarn. Now the only other hurdle is to put the colors in an appealing order. The original pattern uses less colors, I have eleven and I do want to use them all for this pattern and not be left with one or two odd skeins.

Last night I took a photo of the yarn balls in one order. The lighting in the room of course is not perfect in the evening, so the colors can not be distinguished well. To help with that, here is the palette of the Sipalu bag and this is the order that I put them together.




I will try different orders during daylight, maybe over the weekend. One option would be to put the light colors in the middle, framed by dark colors. Or alternate between light and dark. Game on.

No comments:

Post a Comment