Saturday, June 30, 2018

Using up unwanted yarn

Highly motivated and with lots of enthusiasm I started the Knitting Guild Association's (TKGA) masters program. I thought I could get a certificate as master knitter. I bought yarn from Knitpicks to use for all the samples to be knitted and had already finished 4 of 15. In between, emails arrived that
the instructions had changed, then the protocol had changed and then I lost all interest. I put that project aside and never looked back.

However, I had 9 skeins of Knitpicks Wool of the Andes in colors that I would not use for myself. They were chosen as required for the samples. And the yarn is 100% wool which is not my top choice in yarn either.
I could swap or sell the remaining skeins, but I usually hang on to all pieces in my stash. (Yeah, unfortunately) There must be something that I could knit with this.

I thought of a baby blanket, well, not for anyone here in southern California, but for someone more north maybe? A baby girl is on its way in October and maybe we can gift a blanket.
I looked through Ravelry and stopped at the Chevron Baby Blanket  knitted with a 100% Acrylic yarn (also not my choice), but this one was do-able with three colors. So I cast on and am almost finished with it.

I like the chevron pattern, it is easy to knit and shows itself in an elegant way. I like the ridges that form from the increases and decreases. The three colors somehow work very well together in this pattern. The blanket may be a bit scratchy now, but I hope that it will soften after a wash and block.
I am ending the stripe sequence with the darker color, just as I started, and I thought of crocheting the sides with the dark color in a single row, just to frame the whole thing. Also to cover up the yarns strands on the right that tagged along the side with every color change.  Or I could do an I-cord on the sides. I shall see. See an unfinished picture below and here is my Ravelry link.



No comments:

Post a Comment