Friday, October 10, 2014

Clapo-Ktus - FO (Knitting)

For a roadtrip this summer I was looking for a very simple pattern that I could knit in the car. I chose Clapo-Ktus and a skein of sock yarn that had about 85% of the 100 gram skein left.

The designer, Loredana Gianferri, calls it "A hybrid between clapotis and baktus scarf......". She also says that this pattern "lets you use the exact amount of yarn you have" which is perfect when you are using a partially used skein and when you have a digital scale to weigh your yarn..... which I have not.

So first I wanted to eyeball it. I started to read a comments by other knitters on the Ravelry project pages and I liked some suggestions to knit a straight middle part instead of increasing to a peak to create a triangular shawl. My version would be a straighter and more on the narrow side (narrower?) scarf. The drop stitches start on the decreasing part.

Without a scale, eyeballing this one would probably not work that great. So, I knit my increase part, up to the 14th purl stitch (you will know what I mean when you read the pattern) and then continued to knit the straight part. Now I just had to figure out when I had passed the middle or when I was going to approach the decrease part.




This is what I did: I pulled the end of the yarn out of the inside of the skein and with a different set of needles I cast-on and knit the exact increase part from that side until I reached the 14th purl stitch. Now I knew that this was the amount of yarn that I would need for my decrease part. Then I removed those knitting needles, wound my ball of yarn around this small triangle and knit my main piece up to that section. Which means that I had knit the increase sections from both ends of the yarnball which gave me the exact amount needed for each section. I was really impressed with myself, and I still am.
I am sure there is an easier way, but this worked perfectly for me.
And here is the finished shawl:





pattern by Loredana Gianferri
Yarn: Junghans Wolle Freizeit Color (85 grams)
Needles: US2.5 - 3.0 mm

I did not knit much in the car, because in the end I was the driver, but it tagged along and whenever there was a moment, my knitting needles were not far. 
I gave the shawl to my friend Kristi for her birthday and I hope that she will enjoy wearing it. as much as I enjoyed knitting it.

No comments:

Post a Comment