Berlin 1981

We are the happy parents of a little boy. The very first baby in our new group of friends. He is being spoiled by everyone. 
My mother-in-law leaves Tehran and moves in with us for a year. On one hand, a blessing, as she will be able to help out in caring for the baby while I have to go back to work. On the other hand, it is a one-year ordeal to get her approved for asylum as she will not be returning to Iran. Many long hours are spent filling out forms and standing in lines at the "Auslaenderpolizei". She hopes to get a US visa after all has been approved, and move to California to live with my brother-in-law and his wife.
Emotions run high during that one year. My father-in-law is still in Iran, the Iran-Iraq war is still ongoing and we are worried about him. I have a difficult relationship with my mother-in-law as she takes over our life. She, on the other hand complains a lot and wants to leave for the US as soon as possible. 

Those were trying times, but we all survived and on the day that we sent her off to San Jose, we also were approved for a spot at the daycare center for our son. All pieces fell into place as they usually do.

No comments:

Post a Comment