Snow at the Owl's Den

“It's snowing still," said Eeyore gloomily.
"So it is."
"And freezing."
"Is it?"
"Yes," said Eeyore. "However," he said, brightening up a little, "we haven't had an earthquake lately.” 
― A.A. Milne

All weekend we followed the incredible snow storm on the East Coast. We had a traveler (work-related) stranded and hoped he would make it for a Monday meeting. (Which he did not) I feel for the people without power in a situation like this.
In Southern California, on the other hand, we go nuts when it snows in the nearby mountains. I spent the weekend at the Owl's Den with the dogs. On our way up on Hwy 38, as soon as a few patches of snow were visible, cars were parked everywhere on the side of the road. Kids just wanted to slide down a slope, using anything that they could sit on. I saw rubbermaid lids. Unfortunately, people do not pick up their trash afterwards and the National Forest guys have to organize a cleanup after the weekend. Too bad. Broken lids and sleds and saucers are strewn everywhere.

The dogs and I had a wonderful quiet weekend. Our neighborhood was almost deserted. That's why I like it so much.
Here are a few impressions of our Owl's Den this winter:

January 2016
I bought these two wood carvings last year in Germany in a small town, Dinkelsbuehl. We had not found the right cabin yet, but I had a feeling that an "Owl's Den" was just waiting for us to find it.





Today they are hanging over the dining table.
I just love these delicate ornaments. One is so Grimm's Fairy Tale.
And the other, of course owls. But aren't they just the sweetest pair?







And then I found these adoring mugs. I also bought them long before we found our cabin and I was not sure if this was going to jinx the whole search, or if they were going to be my lucky charm. I guess they turned out to be just waiting for that shelf in the kitchen.




Right below, I hung these cute measuring spoons, so my little forest friends are all gathered in the same spot.

On another shelf I placed this old coffee grinder which I found a few weeks ago at an antique store in Old Town Temecula. I love browsing antique stores and I always find something that reminds me of my grandparents. 

My grandmother, Martha, would always grind the coffee beans for the afternoon coffee and cake in one of these old wooden mills. I can still see her with her light blue apron pressing the box against her soft middle and grinding away. (did that sound inappropriate now? so sorry.)
It is because of my grandparents Martha and Paul, that I always wished for a little garden house. Before and during the war, even up until the 1960s they lived in a garden community. It was called "Laubenkolonie - Abendruh" in Berlin-Lichterfelde. They lived in a one-bedroom cabin style house, with an outhouse, a patio and a big garden, full of fruit trees and vegetable patches. There was an underground cellar that she used as a pantry and that's where the beer was kept cold. The opening was flush to the ground and covered by a wooden door. A few steps down and you entered this dark room, shelves all around, holding her canned goods. But during the war, she would hide there with my father. It was her bomb shelter. As a kid, I just loved spending time with them. Martha sold the property after my grandfather passed away and she could not care for it anymore, I guess in the mid 70s. She always said, if she had known that we would move back to Berlin, she would never have sold. How I wished we could have taken over her lovingly cared for garden when we moved back in 1979. Martha passed away in April 2000, a few weeks shy of her 101st birthday.


I have kept this little weather station that used to hang on her patio. I love it very much and it always reminds me of those days in my childhood. 

A few more pictures that I took last weekend.


A mix of my old 'pudding' molds and some copper trivets that the seller left behind. We bought the tea box at the Christmas bazaar at my daughter's day care center in Berlin, probably in 1984 or 85. 


A welcome sign that came with the cabin.


This beautiful owl was hand-crafted by a neighbor of my mother's. 


And here is my little owl collection which has now found a new home on the fireplace mantle.

We have not changed anything in the cabin. The sellers have left everything from furniture, pots and pans, to linen and towels, screws and tools, it is just amazing. I have a few ideas of improvement, but that is something for the future. For now, I am enjoying the winter weekends in front of the cozy fireplace. 














No comments:

Post a Comment