Drawing or knitting?

“Realize deeply that the present moment is all you have. Make the NOW the primary focus of your life.” 
― Eckhart TolleThe Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment


It is a wonderful lazy Sunday, dark and rainy. Who wants to go out, when you can spend an afternoon on the sofa with this guy?


Cooper

I usually knit to relax, but sometimes I give that a break and take out coloring pencils and a coloring book. It is the big craze nowadays. You see coloring books for adults everywhere. But I have been doing that for decades. 
I remember that my mom had the same Caran D'Ache coloring pencils as pictured here and every so often she and I would sit at the dining table and color in a book, that must have been in the 60s. I still remember it very well, the book illustrated buildings in US cities, like the White House, the Lincoln Memorial, a southern mansion,  etc. There were many walls and geometric shapes to color. It was fun. Probably the best time I had with my mother as she did not engage with us kids very much. 

I think I am on to her, because this is the best way to entertain a kid, without having to play with her, and at the same time enjoying the coloring process yourself. 
She has a few Mandala coloring books that she takes out every now and then. And I saw her occupy her great-granddaughter the same way last April.

This is my Christmas present from my daughter. The Secret Garden is very beautifully illustrated and is fun to color. The pencils are awesome. Caran D'Ache pencils are the best. They feel like butter. (Nowadays everything feels like buttah, I found a pair of boots on sale and when I slipped into them, it was like buttah, just had to buy them). If you like drawing and coloring, invest in these pencils.




With all the books popping up everywhere, there is just one that I added to my wishlist. The Coloring Book for Knitters. Isn't that the perfect combination? 

No comments:

Post a Comment