Reading this summer....

Of all the books that I listed in my March post I have yet to read Thirteen Moons (Frazier).

All the others I have enjoyed very much.

Three of them were all about secrets.
A famous author's past unravels after his death as his daughter tries to write his biography (The Chimney Sweeper's Boy/Vine).
A caretaker keeps an abandoned baby on the estate where he works and it changes the life on Blessings completely not only for him but also for his aging employer. (Blessings/Quindlen). Keeping a secret over decades from his wife torments a man and destroys their relationship. (The Memory Keeper's Daughter/Edwards)
Love and politics in Egypt - two stories which are set about 100 years apart (The Map of Love/Soueif)
and a biographical background of the Dutch artist Johannes Vermeer as well as the description of life in the 1660s (Girl with a Pearl Earring/Chevalier) were both so interesting to follow.

Additionally, over the summer I have also read



Some sci-fi - Margaret  Atwood's Oryx and Crake, the first of the MaddAddam trilogy. The scary part is that it hits too close to home. It was depressing as this could actually be the future for humans. I have not started the second book 'Year of the Flood' yet.

The Firebird - Susanna Kearsley. I did not like this book as much as others that I have read by this author. A bit of romance and some time travel are always entertaining, but this story had too many repetitions and I got quite bored by it. It does have high ratings at Amazon though.

Prayers for Sale - Sandra Dallas. A sweet novel that I enjoyed to the end. Love, tears, friendship and quilting, that should make a good story, right? And it is not a religious book.

An old classic - Jamaica Inn by Daphne Du Maurier - mystery, romance, action, smugglers, Cornish Coast. I could not put it down.

I also bought The House on the Strand by Daphne Du Maurier. A classic time-travel story that has a captivating ending.

Another old classic - The Other Side of Midnight by Sidney Sheldon. I found this paperback for a dollar, but I can't remember where. I spotted the title and remembered that we saw the movie in the 70s and were so surprised by the ending that the audience let out a gasp, I can still remember that moment, but I could not remember what the story was about and how it ended. So here was the book for a buck, I could not refuse and it is a great book. Romance, Sex (of course, kind of a la Harold Robbins) Deception, Love, Hate and most importantly 'Revenge'.

On my Shelf to read:

The Swan Thieves
The Goldfinch
Winter's Tale
A Wrinkle in Time
Thirteen Moons
A Fine Balance

On my Wishlist:

Some Luck, Jane Smiley
The Museum of Extraordinary Things, Alice Hoffman

This will keep me busy for some time.


No comments:

Post a Comment