Books - recently read

Time and Again by Jack Finney

It took me a few chapters to get into the book. Si Marley is chosen to participate in a secret government mission on time travel. He chooses a date he wants to be at in New York to witness the exchange of a mysterious letter. The beginning is slow, he is prepped for the time travel and when he  finally makes it, the book gets interesting. I enjoyed the detailed description of the 1880s New York accompanied by illustrations. The story gets interesting when he interacts with the people of that time and solves the mystery of the letter and its circumstances. The concept of time travel is an interesting one. One touch and the ripples of the interference and the consequences can change the future in a second. I highly recommend this book and I am planning to read the sequel From Time to Time.


The language of flowers by Vanessa Dieffenbach

I bought this book by mistake on  my Kindle, however, I kept it as has great reviews and 4.5 stars. The story is of a young woman, Victoria, who has dealt with a horrible past of emotional disappointments, neglect and anger. She understands the Victorian language of flowers and starts a business that flourishes and helps her heal. It was interesting to learn about the meaning of the different flowers and plants. However, there were moments in the book, that would almost cause me anxiety because Victoria was so unpredictable and angry and destructive. I was glad when I read the last page and the book came to an end. I would, however, recommend it, as it is a very good character book.

Rococo by Adriana Trigiani

An Italian-American story about an interior designer who gets the project he has wished for his whole life, to renovate the church Our Lady of Fatima. It is amusing how the family is involved in everything, the Italian way, I guess. One review said, it is Tiramisu for the soul. I agree.

I am currently reading:

Oryx & Crake by Margaret Atwood

On my shelf to be read

The Swan Thieves
The Goldfinch

Books I would like to buy:

House on the Strand, Daphne du Maurier
Winter's Tale, Mark Helprin



No comments:

Post a Comment