Wiser?

“Wisdom doesn't automatically come with old age. Nothing does
- except wrinkles. It's true, some wines improve with age. But
only if the grapes were good in the first place.” 
― Abigail Van Buren

The other evening I watched a movie with Jane Fonda: Peace, Love and Misunderstanding.
It has stayed on my mind somehow.
Now, the movie was not a blockbuster and would not knock you of the couch, but for me it had something of a 'feel-good', something that has created a longing for a kind of free-spiritedness.
Jane Fonda plays an aging hippie who lives (of all places) near Woodstock, makes pottery, grows and sells pot and howls at the moon. Her estranged daughter (Catherine Keenan) comes back after 20 years with the grandchildren she never met and in the end they all kind of make up. That's it in a nutshell. Jane really shines in her role as Grace and you could see that she had fun playing it. The scenery is so  beautiful and the male actor,  Jeffrey Dean Morgan - eyecandy!

So, what is it that made me feel good? In an interview Jane commented: "Believe it or not, it’s just age. .... I discovered in my research — who knew? — most people over 50 ... I don’t know if “happy” is the right word, but they are at peace. It is like, been there, done that. Been through a crisis. It didn’t kill me, I can do this. You know what you need to know and what you can let go. And knowing what to overlook is part of what wisdom is. While it’s not automatic that as you get older, you get wiser, it tends to be the case."

And that is exactly how I feel. Just content, happy with who I am and how I look. Gone through a few crises in life and nothing can really phase me now. Kids have grown up and are going their own way and I feel free. Well, not really free, I am chained to my desk at work and wouldn't it be wonderful to live in a cottage by a lake, knit and dye yarn with a little zoo of rescued animals surrounding me. I dare dream about that being possible one day.

Why did I start to write about this in the first place?
I remember, it was Jane's hair and my hair. I have stopped coloring mine for quite some time now (family is slightly protesting) and a few, silver streaks are shining through. It also has grown very long, because I can't decide what to do with it. Actually, I have never left a hairdresser completely satisfied ever (and there have been many). I usually go back home, look at myself and say that it will look better after a wash. But nowadays my reflection makes me smile, gray hair, wrinkles and all, and that is what it is all about. That is what I thought the character Grace felt like, she had a certain 'laissez-faire' attitude. I loved her hair, her colorful clothes, her happy dance, her moon howling and I loved Jane, and how she portrayed her with a sparkle.

And now I don't know why I even wrote this post. But that comes with age too.....

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment