Bookclub

Libertarian Book Club books sq
Libertarian Book Club books sq (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
“I’ve never done this before. I didn’t go to human bars. Mudslides
aside, I’m not much of a drinker. Club people are not my people. Now, book-club
people—” 
― Molly HarperNice Girls Don't Have Fangs

I joined a book club. I told my friend who had invited me, that I will come for the first meeting, because I had not seen her in a long time and for the glass of wine and good company. I am not a big fan of book clubs, because I do not like to be dictated what to read and I do not like to be given a time constraint. So, the first meeting was to decide which books to read. We started off with "Gone Girl" by  Gillian Flynn. I liked it and I did not like it. The plot is simple, wife disappears, husband is a suspect. It's a psychological thriller with lots of unexpected twists and turns. Well written. The characters are so realistic and you just want to slap each one of them for being so stupid or crazy. What I did not like about it was the end. Not saying that the writer chose the right or wrong ending, I just did not like how it ended for any of the characters.
What surprised me though, was the meeting we had after everyone read the book and how interesting and lively the discussion was about Nick and Amy. I really enjoyed that. I think I will continue.
The next book is "An Invisible Thread" by Laura Schroff and Alex Tresniowsky. I still have to start reading it.
Currently reading:
The Shoemaker's Wife (Kindle)
The Great Gatsby (Paperback) - because I want to read it one more time before I go see the movie.

Oh, and by the way, this was a great opportunity to use the Philofaxy Book Review Template found here. I had printed a few pages but never found a good reason to use them.
First note on Gone Girl Review page - Quote: "There is something disturbing about recalling a warm memory and feeling utterly cold" Nick
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment