Comfort Food

My daughter and I try to live healthy. She works out a lot, I don't. At least I try to cook healthy food from scratch every day. We want to have those leftovers for lunch the next day, right?
Once in a while we get that craving for some comfort food and that is usually not the most healthy meal. Anyway, going through all my magazines (down to 15 now maybe) I collected a few recipes that I just know she will like too. There was one whole dinner in a Living by Martha Stewart magazine January 2012.The article is called Mad Hungry: TV Dinners and the article and recipes were written by Lucinda Scala Quinn, aka Madhungry.com.
I am proud to say that I made the whole dinner in 1.5 hours. Starting at 6pm after I walked the dogs and we sat down at 7:30 to eat.
I had all the ingredients at home, so there was no need to go out shopping either and leftovers were plenty for the next day.

Salisbury Steak with Onion Gravy
Potato-and-Carrot Mash
Creamed Spinach
Apple-Cherry Cobber (I used dried cranberries)


It was a feast and we enjoyed it so much, we forgot to take pictures except for the dessert (we like ice cream) which is made this way. So easy (ok-I found the link after I had typed the whole thing here, so I will just leave it.):

4 apples (Fuji or Gala) peeled, cored and cut into 1/2 inch pcs (4 cups)
2 tblsp fresh lemon juice
1 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup sugar
Salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tblsp flour
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
4 tbsp cold unsalted butter

Toss apples, lemonjuice and cranberries in 8-inch square baking pan
Whisk together sugar, pinch of salt, cinnamon and flour. Add half the sugar mixtures to apples, stir to combine
Sitir oats and remaining sugar mixture, add butter and stir. Pat oat-butter mixture over apples.
Bake at 375 for 40-50 min (apples should be tender and juices bubbling, oats get golden)

Comments: I did not have enough milk so my potato mash was made with a bit of chicken broth, butter and a dollop of sour cream. Great results.
And in the end, as my daughter's boyfriend came over to join us for dinner, we did not have enough left over to freeze, just enough for next day's lunch.
It was an enjoyable evening and made all three of us feel good (and stuffed).

No comments:

Post a Comment