The Sleeveless Surprise

A few weekends ago I had to drop off a traveler at the airport very early on a Sunday. On my way back I decided to take advantage of the early morning and all the free parking spots along Harbor Drive. I grabbed my waterbottle and started walking along the Embarcadero waterfront. What a beautiful day it was. 


People were just getting up on deck of their boats enjoying their cup of coffee and the early morning joggers and dog walkers where passing by. I have driven along Harbor Drive so many times, but was never aware of all the sculptures displayed along the water. 


These are the "Urban Trees" a collection of 30 sculptures. I liked this one the most: "Ask The Fish" (the iridescent scales are cds/discs) by Stephen Fairfield. 

Walking on, I reached the San Diego Maritime Museum. 


And look at this ship, I just had to stop and admire it. This is the HMS Surprise, a replica of an 18th century Royal Navy ship.

I understand that it was used for the movie "Master and Commander" with Russel Crowe. It's beautiful. You can't walk past it without imagining Jack Sparrow or a British Commander standing on deck. 

Back to knitting. So, in my last entry I started a cotton top. Maybe I should call it HMS Surprise (Her Majesty's Sleeveless Surprise) - as I am just winging this with no plans on how it will turn out.

4.0 mm circular needles
Cast on 95 stitches (long tail cast-on)
Knit uneven rows (RS), Purl even rows (WS) = stockinette stitch
Edit: Optional - slip first stitch of each row respectively knitwise or purlwise = selvage stitch

By today I have made some progress. (This is real time, people, I am knitting slowly). I have knitted straight up for 17in/42cm and now it is time to decrease for the armholes:

At 17in/42cm start armhole decrease (end with a purl row:
Continuing with RS - bind off 6 stitches at beginning of next two rows.
Continue decrease as follows (on RS):
Sl1, k2, ssk, knit across to last 5 stitches, k2tog, k3
Next row: purl
Continue decrease. I will let you know when to start neck shaping.


Not a very clear picture, but you can see the armhole decrease.

No comments:

Post a Comment