The Accountant's Cuff

My cubicle neighbor, a member of our accounting department, is always freezing. Her hands are cold as ice in the morning and she can barely type in any numbers. So I promised her that I would knit her some wrist warmers. They knit up quickly and I was glad to put some left-over sock yarn into good use. She loves them and is wearing them happily today (as I look on proudly).

The pattern is easy (and is written for the approx 280 yds of Opal fingering 4-ply sockyarn which I used up):








The Accountant's Cuff
Cast on 56 stitches on 2.5mm doublepointed needles (dpns), 14 stitches on each needle, joined in the round. Mark the beginning of  round with stitch marker or eye it like I do....(the cast-on end of yarn is my imaginary marker).

Knit 5 rows of ribbing: k2, p2
Continue in knit stitch for about 2.5 inches (6cm) and start the thumb gusset.

Begin increase round (you are creating a kind of triangle that will form into a thumb): 
a. K1 - P1K1 in same stitch - K1 - K1P1 in same stitch, thereby making a 2 stitch increase - knit to end of round.
b. K1 - P1  K3  P1 - knit to end of round.
c. K1 - P1K1 into same stitch - K3 - K1P1 in same stitch (increasing by 2 stitches) - knit to end of round.
Continue with a. and b. rows increasing the stitches between the purl stitches up to 13 and end with a 'b.' row.

K2 - place the next 13 stitches on waste yarn and knit to end of round. 
K2 - make 3 stitches with a loop cast-on and continue to knit in the round for 1/2 inch (1 cm).

End with 5-7 rows of ribbing: K2, P2
Bind-off - break yarn

Back to the thumb. Pick up the stitches from the waste yarn with three of the dpns. Pick up yarn and with fourth dpn pick up 3 stitches from the loops you had cast-on above the thumb opening. Divide the 16 stitches evenly on the four dps and knit about 5 rounds before binding off.
Sew in ends of yarn.

One of the best ways to use up leftover sockyarn. And they are appreciated by everyone. After going through a cold phase here in SoCal these have become useful at last.

Enjoy your week - the second one this year - but you already know that.

1 comment:

  1. My office is always freezing, too. I've been considering making myself some fingerless mitts to keep my hands warm. I think I'll try your pattern, if I ever manage to get time again!

    ReplyDelete