Ten on Tuesday - 10 Things You Wish You Had Known When You Started College

I would rephrase that into something like, advice to my younger self - as if that is going to change anything now, but maybe it will help a younger person to not make the same mistakes.
Yes, I can be a bitter person sometimes and full of regrets - but today, looking back, it was not a bad life and the decisions were probably the right ones made under the circumstances that we lived in at that time in the Middle East.
M is a senior at a CSU, but lives at home, so there never was any "getting-ready-for-my-college-student-to-move" sentiments, although she always complains that she never had the "real" college experience. I am very proud of her as she took care of everything herself from financial aid to crashing classes, etc. as we (the parents) had no clue about the college/university system here in the US - I should ask her for advice.
So my 2-cents, which may not fit exactly into today's topic:
  • Do not get married after your high school graduation. You are too young, too naive and need to get to know who you are and what you want first.
  • Do not take your mom's advice and become a 'secretary' just because she says, she worked as a secretary and it's a good career and so should you - I guess that was her way of giving me a push into the world and trying to help because she saw that I did not know what I wanted to do or she did not like my idea of choosing 'stewardess' as a career.
  • Do not have your dad call to schedule your first job interview - how embarrassing is that and then have dad call, who always has difficulty communicating and expressing himself. Yeah, but I got the job, as a secretary....
  • Definitely go on with your education after highschool, either by learning a trade, visiting a community college or taking a job and learning hands on if you are not going to college/university.
  • Learn another language.
  • Travel and see other cultures during the summers - maybe you can practice your newly learned language. 
  • Do not drink yourself silly on Sunday nights, it is painful to start Monday classes with a hangover. 
  • Participate in classes and ask questions, check in with your teacher/professor every now and then - being too quiet and shy will not get you anywhere. 
  • It does not matter if your life is not completely organized or planned out yet - change is always good. 
  • Have fun! 
If you would like to participate in the Ten on Tuesday, sign up here.

No comments:

Post a Comment