aka Witch Hazel

Witch-hazel in the F├╝rth Stadtpark (Germany)Image via Wikipedia

I taught my co-worker how to knit and now she is hooked, so to speak.
On Saturday we went yarn shopping in San Diego, Coastal North County. The first yarn shop we went to was Knitting by the Beach, located in Solana Beach. The owner is Tanya Alpert, a knitter and designer who has also published a book, Haiku Knits. This was the first time I had been at her store. She displays beautiful sample knits and when I asked her about them, she showed me her book - how interesting! She offers a Saturday afternoon get-together for knitters to sit, knit and chat at her store (the only condition is that you knit your project with yarn that you have purchased at her store). Unfortunately we did not find any yarn that spoke to us.
Right next door though, we saw a Consignment Store and it took us some time to decide if we should go in or not and when we did decide to go, but promised not to spend any money on furniture or deco, we found it was closed. Looking through the window at all the available items it is definitely a place worth going to check out. Well, we were lucky really and so we moved on towards Encinitas. The Black Sheep and Common Threads are located here, both I have frequented many times before. We browsed the shelves and touched the yarns and deliberated over a nice breakfast at a nearby diner. We visited the meditation gardens and enjoyed the flowers, the view (saw a pod of dolphins swim by) and the koi ponds. Then we went back to get the yarn we had chosen. I bought this beautiful Malabrigo yarn, Persia at Common Threads and couldn't be happier with this little gem. I already cast on and knitted a few inches of the Hamamelis Shawl pattern and I think this is the perfect pattern for this soft and wonderful yarn. I called it my Persian Hamamelis Shawl - Hamamelis being the botanical name for witch hazel, Zaubernuss (magic nut?) in German, there is a tree of the Hamamelis family in Northern Iran, called Persian Ironwood - all kind of auspicious signs that I have a perfect match of yarn and pattern, again.


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment