What I learned while grafting

All righty then, I have started to graft the two parts of my Juno together.

The Waste Yarn Method
First I tried the suggested lace grafting by knitting an additional row or two with some waste yarn and then following the yarn. It sounds very easy to do but it was a disaster. I just could not figure out when to move from knitting needle 1 to knitting needle 2. Sure, I see exactly where the thread should be following the waste yarn on one knitting needle, but when do I move my thread to the other knitting needle to follow the waste yarn on the other side? Even reading the directions and then looking at my stitches, it just did not click for me.

Kitchener Stitch, the standard way
Ok, still the regular option of 'no waste yarn' just the live stitches on two needles. Now follow the directions of grafting:

Set up:
Front - purl leave on
Back - knit leave on


Repeat:
Front - knit drop
Front - purl leave on
Back - purl drop
Back - knit leave on

This is easy and I got that quickly. It is a great method to graft together two pieces of stockinette knitting. It looks wonderful, no seam, but.... here comes the big but(t). It will not work with lace or any yarnovers. You will end up with a nice stockinette row which will be obvious to my eye.
I tried it, undid it, tried it again and loosend up the stitch wherever there was a yarnover, but still it was too obvious. I grafted half of the stitches, but ended up with my pattern not being on top of each other, I must have missed a stitch, so I undid some again to see where I had gone wrong. Still, I was not happy with the results.
The worst part overall were the knots that tied up my yarn when I was pulling the thread through the stitchloop. What a big hassle and @#$^*%$ - I needed a drink or two.

Result:
I have decided to undo my grafting and knit the shawl down to the tip. I know now that I have enough yarn from this point onward and I do not mind if it is not exactly symmetic.
This does not mean that I give up on grafting, actually I liked it and it was very easy to learn. It just was not right for this pattern.
Whew, now I feel much better.

2 comments:

  1. Some of my greatest knitting disasters have involved kitchener stitch. And lace. And wine. Good call on the knitting to the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kitchener stitch scares me. It looks so easy, but I tend to mess it up anyway. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete