Easy Weekend Dinners

This was a hot weekend. Our area recorded 104 degrees and we broke a weather record. Everyone was just so lazy at home, even the dogs did not want to play or take a walk, the closest tree was fine enough for them and for us too. And it is only June.
One of those summer nights you really do not want to spend in the kitchen cooking.
On Friday after work I prepared the dinners in advance.

EASY WEEKEND DINNERS

Friday night:

Chicken Tacos
I cut up three chicken breasts into cubes (taken out of the freezer in the morning) and stir fried them golden brown. Half of the meat back into the fridge for another meal. The other half was mixed with some taco seasoning, some green peppers (optional) and onions.

Taco Slaw
I shredded a quarter cabbage head for the taco slaw and mixed it with rice wine vinegar and Ranch dressing and seasoned it with salt, pepper and chili powder. (the longer it marinates, the better).

Everyone could just grab a tortilla and stuff it with meat, slaw and cheese any time that evening.
We mixed some Margaritas in a blender, grabbed a taco, chips and salsa and went for the pool at 8.30pm. No one there, it seemed like our own private backyard pool and spa. A wonderful way to end the workweek.

Saturday night:

Steak and Coleslaw
Remaining cabbage and 2 carrots were shredded for a coleslaw
Dressing:
1 cup light mayo
1 cup sourcream
2 tblsp rice wine vinegar
2 tblsp sugar
1/4 cup water
pepper, paprika


Grilled sirloin steak (was on sale on Friday at Vons) and cut up a french baquette.

Sunday dinner:

BBQ Chicken Pizza
mixed other half of fried chicken with 2 tblsp BBQ sauce. Rolled out some Pillsbury Pizza dough, spread bbq sauce on top, added chicken, sprinkled with shredded cheese (I had Kraft mexican mix in the fridge) and baked it for 15 minutes at 425 degrees. It was delicious and so easy.

I am excited about my pre-planning because this was one of the rare weekends that I had time for myself and my projects. I announced, that this is what I was going to do and this is what we were going to eat. Make your own plans or join me. And it worked.

My kitchen project (painted tiles) is in progress and I just love it. After a few cardboard samples I am ready to put the paint on the wall. If it is a success I will share. If not, then I will never mention it again......

Weekend Movie:
We watched American Gangster - our Netflix of the week. It was ok. I am not a great big fan of either Denzel Washington or Russel Crowe, both are good looking and great actors, but this was just ok, lots of blood, drugs and money, but what do you expect in a gangster movie anyway. Husband liked it. Next on list, I think is Enchanted, more my cup of tea, being a Disney movie fan.

Shopping list for 3 dinners:
3 Sirloin Steaks
1 French Bread
1 cabbage head

Pantry/fridge staples:
3 Chicken breasts (always stocked in freezer)
Onion
Taco seasoning mix
Rice wine vinegar
Ranch dressing
Chili powder
Tortillas
Shredded cheese
Light Mayo
Sour cream
Paprika
Sugar
Carrots
BBQ sauce
Pillsbury Pizza dough

No comments:

Post a Comment